Milk spots, otherwise known as “Milia”, is a skin condition characterized by tiny, white raised bumps that commonly appear on the surface of your face.
One of the key reasons for this health condition is when keratin, a protein that serves as the building block for hair, skin and nails – gets trapped just under the skin.
One thing about Milia is that almost everyone can develop it, but studies reveal that infants and newborns are more prone to it.
What Are The Causes Of Milk Spots?
You may develop milk spots as a result of several factors. To start with, it might be because of some sort of damage to your skin, long term sun damage, repeated skincare procedures, improper use of steroid creams, to name but a few.
Yes, milk spots are basically not itchy, painful, or inflamed but some patients may experience discomfort during the process.
Also, it is worthy to note that this skin condition might take a few months to be completely cleared up, depending on your age and other related factors.
Below are best natural home remedies to get rid of milk spots:
#1. Raw Honey
Honey is a humectant, which means that it is able to preserve moisture. When you apply it on the surface of your skin, it will help in retaining moisture, then shield against dryness.
Additionally, studies reveal that honey is ideal for moisturizing the face as it helps exfoliate the skin’s top layer while also eliminating little bumps.
How to Use Honey for Milk Spots
- Apply raw honey directly onto the affected area, and leave it there for close to 20 minutes before washing off.
- Repeat this just once in a day for a few weeks.
#2. Sugar Lemon Juice Scrub
Lemons are known for their powerful antibacterial, antiseptic, bleaching, and antioxidant properties.
They contain vitamin C and citric acid, which can help brighten and lighten your skin. In fact, they are considered an ideal remedy for Milk Spots.
How to Use Sugar Lemon Juice for Milk Spots
- Get these ingredients and mix them together: 2 Tablespoons of sugar, ½ lemon’s juice, and one teaspoon of olive oil.
- After that, scrub your face with this mixture in a gentle manner, then let it be there for close to 20 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
Regardless of how stupid this may sound to you, studies reveal that rubbing a tomato over your milk spots can help clear them in just a couple of days.
This is majorly because they are rich in antioxidants, contains natural bleaching properties, improves the skin’s brightness and suppleness, clears dark spots, to name but a few.
How to Use Tomato for Milk Spots
- Get a tomato slice, sprinkle it with sugar, and then rub gently over the affected areas.
- Repeat this every day for about 1 month or until you get satisfactory results.
#4. Fenugreek Leaves
Fenugreek leaves contain antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
That aside, these leaves have also been severally proven to be effective for soothing common blemishes, including acne breakouts, blackheads, boils, and even milk spots.
How to Use Fenugreek Leaves for Milk Spots
- Grind a handful of fresh fenugreek leaves with water, spread the solution over the affected area.
- Let it remain there for close to 15 minutes before you rinse it off.
#5. Cornstarch and Apple Cider Vinegar
Cornstarch is great at combating milk spots. The natural ingredient helps the skin in absorbing enough oil for better skin texture while apple cider vinegar in a similar vein, penetrates into the pores to clear up those blemishes and enhance your overall look.
How to Use Cornstarch and Apple Cider Vinegar for Milk Spots
- Get a moderate quantity of Cornstarch and Apple Cider Vinegar and mix them together to make a paste.
- After that, spread the mixture on the affected area, and let the mask remain there for close to 25 minutes before you remove it.
This seems to be the simplest and easiest on this list. Do you know that you can get rid of milk spots simply by steaming your face? – Yes! By so doing, it will help unclog pores and eliminate dead skin cells, debris and any other related jargons on the face.
How to Get Rid Of Milk Spots With Steaming
- Get a towel, soak it in hot water, and then squeeze out excess.
- After that, set the towel across your face for 15 – 25 minutes.
- Keep repeating this a few times until you are satisfied with the results.
Read Also: How to Get Rid Of Brown Spots on Teeth
#7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is all-natural oil with powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties for making the skin infections-free and drying out milk spots.
How to Get Rid Of Milk Spots With Tea Tree Oil
- Get 5 drops of both tea tree oil and coconut oil, then mix them together.
- After that, pick up a cotton ball and apply the mixture on your skin.
- Leave it there for close to 15 minutes before you rinse it off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat this once or twice every day for best results.
#8. Castor Oil
Castor oil is known for its versatile nature and many health benefits. In fact, it research shows that it is effective for treating constipation, asthma, bladder infections and other related conditions.
One thing about this powerful oil is that it is loaded with natural healing and antibacterial properties while it also helps in regulating the rate at which the skin produces oil.
How to Get Rid Of Milk Spots With Castor Oil
- Mix equal quantity of castor and olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply it on your face, let it remain there until it has been totally absorbed, and then wash it off.
You can also read: How to Use Castor Oil for Hair Growth